Minnesota is renowned for its plethora of beautiful, historic churches. One of the more modern churches is the Church of St. Columba in St. Paul. Built in 1950, it is best described as a “mixture” of architectural styles. The church is better known for its handsome, ornate interior.
Built in Winona in 1893, the Basilica of St. Stanislaus was the church home to the Polish immigrant community of the 1800s. The handsome red-brick house of worship presents a massive central dome, white steeples, and ornate stained-glass windows.
A former military outpost that was converted to a state park, the Ft. Snelling Veterans Chapel is used today as a non-denominational church featuring veteran’s memorials.
St. Mary’s Orthodox Cathedral in Minneapolis was constructed in the 1800s in the style of the Omsk Cathedral in Russia to serve the spiritual needs of Carpatho-Russian immigrants to the area.
Two more churches in the National Register of Historic Places are St. Clement’s Episcopal Church in St Paul and the Redeemer Missionary Baptist Church in Minneapolis. Both built around the turn of the century, the two historic buildings have each served as houses of worship for over a hundred years.
Standing proudly apart is the Mighty Fortress Church of Minneapolis, part of the Mighty Fortress Ministries International. Founded by Senior Pastor Bishop Thomas R. Williams, the Mighty Fortress Church offers fellowship, bible study, and weekly casual dress worship services.
Besides more than 30 years in the ministry, Bishop Williams acquired training and education from North Central University in Minneapolis, Bethel University and Seminary in St. Paul, and Rhema Bible Training Center in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Bishop Williams teaches and preaches a “solution theology” of support and empowerment through the realistic application of biblical principles. He believes that applying a combination of honesty, common sense, and biblical teachings will result in workable solutions to today’s problems.